Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Marketing & Outreach

So now that we are officially waiting to be matched, I have been reading up on the ways to market ourselves and get the word out there that we are waiting to adopt. I have to say that I am very uncomfortable with this aspect. I have heard many stories of how waiting families have met their birthparents through a friend who knew someone who was pregnant and thinking about adoption. I have never been someone who was able to market myself well, as I think back to certain job interviews. And it just feels kind of slimy going around and asking people if they know of any opportunities for us to get a baby!

How do you guys feel about this? I think it may be different if you have an outgoing personality, but I am pretty shy and quiet around people that I do not know well, and Adam is pretty introverted too.

Over a year ago, after we pretty much had made the decision to adopt, I was in a CVS drug store buying something or other, and I was in the aisle with the feminine hygiene products and pregnancy tests. Something caught my eye hanging off the shelf in front of the pregnancy tests. As I got closer, I realized there were several little business-like cards hanging on some of the tests. They were from a couple that was waiting to adopt. I was astounded! As I read the card about this family, I noticed they were using the same agency (IAC) that we were settling on. I hoped we weren't going to be expected to do something like that! Of course, it is up to us if we want to do any of our own outside marketing. As of right now, I don't think we will do much of our own outreach. But ask me again after we have been waiting for six months and have had no interest in our profile!

So have you seen any creative marketing ideas out there? What are you planning on doing in this regard? It is always so interesting to see how different people have different approaches to certain situations.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel! I feel comfortable with marketing electronically (FB, website, emails), but don't know how much I'll do with leaving pamphlets or cards. I feel fortunate in knowing lots of kids in college and will ask them to pass along our information to friends if they can. I heard a story about putting magnetic business cards inside bathroom stalls. Can't see doing that right now, but like you said...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete